Pre-spawn bass fishing is, by far, my absolute favorite thing to try to do. When the water temperatures are between 45 and 58 degrees, the fish are relatively easy to fool and that weigh heavier than they're going to throughout the remainder of the year. In my opinion, however, many anglers wait too long to start out targeting this pre-spawn bass. They move towards their staging spots tons before you'd think and if you discover 'em early, it is often the foremost insane bite you have ever been on. Heck, just two years ago I caught a 28-pound limit in early February with the water temperatures within the mid-40s. I assume I should mention that each one of those fish came on a topwater lure, too.


I got thereon bite because I lucked up and got before the bass. rather than chasing after them throughout the pre-spawn period, I used to be waiting on them, and that they were steadily coming to my areas for about four weeks. Essentially, I used to be on the "right" side of the respawn as I call it.


Because this bite goes to be cranking up fairly soon in many parts of the country, I wanted to place together a couple of clues that will assist you to stay top of the fish and maximize the pre-spawn period. persevere there with me and that I think you'll catch some giants.


(1 of 4)COLOR may be a DEAD GIVEAWAY




ADVERTISEMENT

Before you release any bass you catch, pay very close attention to its color. this is often the primary clue you will get that allows you to know you've fish coming to you.


If the fish has little or no color and a dull white hue thereto, you're handling a cannon fodder that just moved up from its wintering hole. therein deeper and colder water, they do not get the maximum amount of light penetration which ends up during a whiter color. If you're catching bass that features a vibrant, green color to them, you're catching bass that has been shallow for a short time which may mean you're behind the sport a touch bit.


There's nothing that gets me more excited than catching pale-colored bass this point of the year. In my mind, it means there are tons more big ones on the way. It also means I can expect a uniform pattern for the subsequent few weeks, barring any crazy weather fronts.

(2 of 4)

TAIL CONDITION




ADVERTISEMENT

While you're unhooking your bass, make attention to its tail condition. I'm an enormous believer that the most important bass within the lake is often the primary ones to maneuver up and stage during pre-spawn. Now, I'm not a biologist, but I desire those big females to move abreast of the primary big moon and while they do not always spawn during that first wave, they're scouting the world trying to find an appropriate place to drop eggs within the very near future.


I've watched 'em fan their tails during a foot of water in 44-degree water temperatures before which is what clued me into this. it had been the nastiest day of January with horrible wind and bitter air temperatures, but there she was; a 7-pounder up within the dirt.


So any time I catch a bass with a bloody tail, I take that as an honest sign. It means they're moving shallow and that they have romance on their mind. And if I'm being honest, once you meet the primary wave of those early pre-spawners, they're a number of the dumbest fish within the lake. they're going to bite almost anything and you'll have a fantastic few days on the water. It'll almost desire a dream come true, so keep an eye fixed out for those pale fish with bloody tails.

(3 of 4)

POT BELLIES

prespawn-bass-fishing-tips-3.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

This is something that will be a big-time clue when you're trying to work out the respawn period. I'm always getting to check their bellies before I release them. If they're skinny and appearance sort of a windsock, I assume that fish has already spawned which suggests I'd be behind the pattern. rather than catching fresh pre-spawners, I'd be happier to travel search a number of my favorite post-spawn spots.


If your fish have big ol' pot bellies, however, you're in business and may expect your pattern to stay consistent for a couple of weeks. to work out exactly how long the respawn deal will last is impossible, but you'll take a good closer check out their bellies to urge a further clue. Right when the bass begins moving up into pre-spawn staging areas, they'll often put their bellies right rock bottom of a clay bank. These clay banks conduct and hold heat better and longer than most other bottom compositions, which makes them a superb place for a bass to warm their egg sacs. So before you release that bass, confirm to seem at its belly for any discoloration. You'll literally anger clay stains on their stomachs which suggests they only moved up and are starting to get romance on their minds.

(4 of 4)

WHERE DID YOU CATCH IT?

prespawn-bass-fishing-tips-2.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

It's important to think about where you're actually getting most of your bites. Ideally, I prefer to seek out pre-spawn bass on shallow water adjacent to trouble because these are the areas they normally start staging on first. Those big females aren't getting big by being dumb. Adjacent trouble gives them the power to quickly change their living situation with just a couple of kicks off their tail.


The early pre-spawn period is notorious for bringing some weather fronts and these areas allow the bass to regulate to them quickly. If a chilly front comes through, the bass can just slide off the brake line and await the atmospheric pressure to lower. When the front passes and therefore the bass want to warm those egg sacs once it gets sunny, they will move right up into the shallows without wasting any energy.


If you discover yourself wandering into the rear of a pocket and catch an enormous female, that's once you might want to prevent and reassess your plan of attack. The bass could be much further along than you think that, which suggests the magical pre-spawn period could be coming to an end.


While there are not any guarantees around bass fishing, I've found the following pointers to be quite useful whenever I'm targeting pre-spawn bass. I anticipate the present period all year long and I have enjoyed some unforgettable days utilizing the following pointers. Although this text maybe a touch little bit of a "brain dump", I wanted to require you thru exactly what I'm thinking as I'm trying to find those 25-pound limits this point of the year. Give these pointers an honest chance whenever the water temperatures are between 45 and 57 degrees... I bet you'll catch some giants.